Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Running

In better days you stood around the post office

With your cowboy boots and cowboy hat.

Wearing that perpetual smile and that nose

That red bulbous nose from drinking too much too long

When the call came that you died I thought back to that fall day

When you said we’d kick ass

And not to worry

Because we were winners

I dreamed about you last night, grandfather

Only in this red tinted land you ran never staying long in one spot

And running you cowered and hid under half fallen walls

Slamming old doors to buildings with no windows or roofs

I run along side you out of breath

In our moments from running you look skyward

Eyes darting from this place to that

And I see you are afraid

I ask why and you say, “Them”

Before I can ask who, we are running again

Ducking under broken tables and looking around darkened corners

Crawling on our elbows and knees and stopping and listening

Upon waking I wondered

What you could have done

To be in

Hell